Sunday, July 5, 2009

"Around The Kitchen"....Making Sourdough Starter

I have been thoroughly enjoying Candy's Blog and I had decided to take the chance in starting my own Sourdough Starter.

I started my Sourdough Starter on Tuesday and unfortunately I did not take any pics of it but I have tried to take pics of the process.

Simple Recipe Sourdough Starter
  • A plastic container (not metal, it may react with the active Sourdough) wash and clean thoroughly.
  • Add one cup of wheat or white flour and one cup of spring water. You can use tap but you have to be sure that there is no chlorine in the water.
  • Stir all together and cover with a clean Floursack Cloth
    or some other sort of clean cloth and secure it on top of the container using a rubber band
  • Place in a warm place in your kitchen away from any sort of contaminants
  • Continue to add 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of spring water for 7 days and put it back into it's safe warm spot. On the 7th day you can try to bake some Sourdough bread using your new homemade Sourdough Starter.
  • Put in the fridge on the 7th day and continue to feed once a week. Make sure to wash your container when you think it is time for a washing...you can just transfer you Sourdough Starter to another container and then transfer back into it's clean container when you have washed it.


Here are some of the pics I have taken of my Sourdough Starter


This is how the Sourdough Starter looked on the 2nd day of sitting on my counter


This is what the Sourdough Starter looked like after adding another cup of wheat flour and water and stirring it all in....notice the bubble (this is what you want to see in your starter) I read.


I then placed a Floursack Cloth on top and secured it with a rubber band, I then placed it in a warm spot in my kitchen....and this has been it's home for the past few days.

This is my Sourdough Starter on it's sixth day...I had continually added 1 cup of water and 1 cup of wheat flour everyday (except for one day I missed). You can see some "hooch" (liquid) in the Sourdough Starter. My Sourdough Starter has been quite bubbly and at this point it has a very unpleasant smell. (that is normal) I read!

This is what my Sourdough Starter looked like when I took off the Floursack Cloth to add more wheat flour and water to my Sourdough. You can see all the bubbles and I could even hear some fizzing sounds (all is normal).


This is my Sourdough Starter all mixed up after adding more wheat flour and water to it. I sat it back on the counter in it's little spot and come Tuesday (God Willing) I will attempt my 1st batch of Sourdough Bread......shoot any sort of baked bread in the oven for that matter!


I will update with pictures on how it all came out and what lessons I learned along the way!


God Bless You All !

2 comments:

Julieann said...

YAY!! Mrs. Monise, I am so glad you are back to posting!!! I did not realize how many people are making starter..LOL. Mine did not work, I think it is the flour I am using. When I go shopping I am going to pick up different flour. I tried last year and it didn't work either~~I am not going to give up though.

Happy day my friend:)

Julieann

The Cottage Nester said...

Hi Julieann!

I'm glad to be back too! Let me know how your starter comes out this time around.

I have not made any bread as of yet but I can't wait to try!

I'll post pics when I do.

God Bless!